Thursday, November 20, 2008

Confessions of a stay-at-home-mom

The idea behind this blog came from thoughts about a post that was running through my mind for my family blog. I felt like I had a confession to make. The title came together from hearing advertisements last summer for the show "The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom." Every time I heard that title I had to laugh. The juxtaposition of the words "secret" bringing to mind thoughts of "sin", with a "Soccer Mom" bringing to mind a "saint" seemed hilarious to me.

So what's the confession? I'm a stay-at-home-mom by definition, but the thought of actually staying at home all day with my daughter, quite honestly...frightens me. When I came to this realization I wondered if I was being true to my title. After all, I'm a stay-at-home-mom, that's what I do. Granted, not all days are like this but thoughts of chilly weather, no car, nothing scheduled on my calendar, a messy house and a 2-year-old to entertain ties my stomach into knots.

I needed some confidence. I needed to feel capable of staying in my house all day and coming up with enough to do. So I made a plan, or more like a sketch of the days activities. No times were connected to each activity, just a framework. As soon as I started to panic at cries of boredom I glanced at my notebook and remembered puppets!! Yes, let's do puppets. We need a bit more spirituality...let's do a nursery lesson. I really need to get into crafts...let's color a thanksgiving book.

I realized that my daughter is now at the age where my day is no longer consumed with only doing things to her. Change her, feed her, change her, feed her, cha...you get the idea. Now, my day is consumed with doing things with her.

This girl is really challenging me and making me grow but I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, yesterday I got a text message from a friend who happens to be a Radio City Rockette. She was telling me about the two television shows she would be on today. After reading her exciting news, I felt no pangs of jealousy that I sometimes had before. Instead, I asked her if she would ask Rachel Ray for some recipes for me while she was on her show.

What about you? What do you do to keep your little one entertained in-doors?

8 comments:

Amy said...

I totally agree.

Amy said...

Yes, I am talking to myself. Trying to figure out comment moderator.

Kara and Chant said...

Thank you Amy for "confessing." I too feel the same way. I am constantly trying to find balance between doing things with my children, having time for myself, and fitting in time with other people. Having activities is a hard thing for me. I am so not creative. So, I turn to books for ideas. And I have just started to collect random things that can be useful in times of "Mom, I want to do something."
Thank you for your comment on my blog about friendships. I really appreciated it. You are a wise person! You make me feel special just knowing that you have read my blog and then left a comment. Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one that reads it! I am excited to keep reading this blog and see what other gems of wisdom I will get from you!

Dasha said...

Haha Amy you are funny. Just think you at least had a life before kids to smile about!

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

Ha ha, did my comment reveal too much? :) Sorry. That's ok as long as you got it!

Stacy said...

Very cute blog! I think you found a great way to be both public and private. Did something spark the change or are you just being cautious? I understand about the irony of the title of stay-at-home-mom. I do tend to like actually being at home, though, so I have to make lists of places to go and reasons to get outside the house with X. :)

Emily said...

After I had kids, I realized twenty-four hours never seemed so long until you were trying to fill it with activities for someone who has an attention span of about 2 minutes. I like your idea of framework. I sometimes try to follow the clock far too much. With kids you always have to be flexible. Lately I have been trying to iron out a little inner battle. I feel torn between my responsibilities as a mother, and also as a homemaker. I realized if I just relax and combine the two, the house stays cleaner, and the kids get more attention. For example, before I would not really do any housework until after the kids went to bed, instead I just played with the kids ALL day. But now, as they are getting a little older, I include them. Even my baby likes to 'help'. That being said, my house is still usually messy. Oh, well. At least I am starting to really enjoy my life as a stay-at-home mom!