Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm an idiot.

Sometimes, I think I depend too much on my husband's brains, experience, knowledge and overall smarts. Now that we are going to spend the next 3.5 months apart while he is away for work, I'm having to "get smart." For example, I don't know how my husband knows so much about computers, but he does. Thanks to him I passed Ed Tech in college! I've always heard him say words like "ethernet" and "router" but didn't think to ask him what they meant. I figured that he knew and that was good enough.

I'm living with my parent's and trying to get my new, beautiful laptop hooked up to the world wide web, to no avail, because of a silly password that we don't have. ARG. How can this be? We bought this computer so I can use it while I am here. I emailed my computer-savvy brother who was most likely the one that set it up and he didn't have a clue what the password was. He said, "Just plug the ethernet cord into the router." Easy for him to say! My dad and I tried some cord that didn't work.

So now I am here, typing on my parent's slow, archaic, ugly, not-cool computer waiting for a call from My Hero to ask him how I can do all of that because I never cared enough to ask him about computers.

I'm also investigating the home-buying process with a hubby half-way across the country for a house completely across the country! Talk about a crash course. I think I have been going along in life thinking I know all I need to know. I'm now realizing that there is so much that I need to know and understand. It's humbling, but at the same time exciting to think that I can get familiar with something that seems overwhelming.

What about you? Do you depend on your hubby for certain things? What is the one thing that would be the hardest for you if your husband was gone for an extended period of time?

8 comments:

Erin said...

You are so funny. You are NOT an idiot...I think all of us have these moments. I know I had quite a few when James was gone to AZ for 6 months and I had 4 kids all alone. Don't worry....I still am not completely sure I know what the ethernet and router are either...good thing you have such a smart hubby who can help you out!

Kate said...

Uh, I depend on my husband for waaaay too many things. Computer stuff (And to think I probably knew more than he did before we married.) and pretty much all things electronic. I can't really even trouble shoot the dvd player/tv situation. Mostly because I don't want to bother--he can do it all so much quicker! Bad, huh?

Also car stuff and home repairs.

Erin said...

I agree, with electronic stuff, I totally depend on Wayne to take care of any problems. If something goes wrong with the computer, tv, etc. and I can't figure it out I run to him for help. I guess maybe I should learn a few things better incase he's away or something. I may be in trouble as well. I hope you can get your laptop working. And good luck finding a house. That is exciting and kinda scary especially for the first time. You'll do great though! Hope the next few months fly by for you guys while you are apart, I'm sure it will!

Erin said...

I agree, with electronic stuff, I totally depend on Wayne to take care of any problems. If something goes wrong with the computer, tv, etc. and I can't figure it out I run to him for help. I guess maybe I should learn a few things better incase he's away or something. I may be in trouble as well. I hope you can get your laptop working. And good luck finding a house. That is exciting and kinda scary especially for the first time. You'll do great though! Hope the next few months fly by for you guys while you are apart, I'm sure it will!

Dasha said...

that's so funny because it's only been with in the last year and half or so that i depend on stuart's smarts more and more. i think it has something to do with getting preggers and having the kiddo's zap my brain cells.

Kara and Chant said...

Yep, I agree that I sometimes rely to much on Chant. There are things that I don't like to do and he always does them for me. Example, I do not like returning things to the store. I always feel stupid. He knows this and so he just does it for me without me saying anything. And I am way dumb at electronics too. Good thing he's around. I really don't know what I would do without him! Good luck during these next 3 months. I am sure that got to be hard. But you can do it because you are amazing!

Kristi said...

This is the first time I have read this blog and I love it!

Halsey said...

I always thought that by the time I got married I would know everything there is to know about being a grown-up married person. Ha ha ha. Then, as I got married, I figured out that mostly we tend to learn things as we need them, and not before. So because Your Hero has always taken care of it before, you didn't need to know it, and that's fine. But now you do. And so you'll learn it and that will be fine. And if my husband left me for a long while, the thing I'd probably miss most is my sanity! I have way too much estrogen in my system :)