Thursday, December 11, 2008

In the Strangers' Defense

I ventured out into the world again and ran into three strangers that cancelled out yesterday's experience. The lady at the checkout and the woman behind us kept calling Missy "Beautiful Girl." On the way out I put her in the big part of the shopping cart (the part you are not supposed to unless that is the only way to manage a cart and a toddler) and a man asked, "Which aisle did you find her?" I thought it was cute, but didn't quite know what to say in return. I mumbled something about being 50% off. That was on my mind since that was how much Missy's Christmas present was discounted. Then he came back with, "Does she have a 30-day money back guarantee?" This reply was easy. "Nope. I get to keep her forever." He agreed and it was a warm-hearted exchange. He even ended our impromptu conversation with, "Take care." So there you have it. I was totally disgruntled yesterday about going into public, and today was thrilled. Just goes to show that some strangers can be slightly offensive, while others are sincere and kind.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I'm glad you had some better experiences today. I actually had some good exchanges in the store today as well. I was at Costco and I love their carts because it seems Myer can sit up in them better and you can put two kids in the front. So instead of leaving Myer in his carseat I let him sit in the cart. Kenner was in there off and on, walking, or in the big back part. :) Anyways, I had several ladies cooing at the boys and enjoying them. One lady really got talking to me and it was just a nice friendly conversation with a stranger. Now I can't remember what all she said to end our conversation but she did wish us a Merry Christmas and I just thought what a nice lady. So, yea to nice people that make you feel happy!

Erin said...

That's nice that some people were able to show us what's still good in the world! It's always nice after having a "bad" experience to have some totally awesome ones too!!!

Halsey said...

How funny! I agree that sometimes strangers are mean people and sometimes they are friendly people. After working as a waitress for a summer I decided that no matter how stressful my day is, I always want to be a nice person! Mean people don't do the world any good except by providing contrast and opposition. I have been job-hunting and just by talking to the secretaries I can tell whether or not I want to work in a certain environment. Go nice people!

Emily said...

It is great when people are so nice. Missy is super beautiful, and you should be very proud of her. She is the perfect size and is healthy and has a wonderful mother. Remember to rely on your feelings and thoughts about your daughter more than anyone else's.