Friday, January 9, 2009

A new year, a new me.

As I think about ALL the things I'd like to do differently this year, a few really jump out. My initial New Year's resolutions are to keep up on the housework, cook healthier meals and scrapbook my blog before February. Ok, that is a good plan...but what can I work on in between all of that? Plenty. But for starters I'd like to give myself the gift of the present. Yes, you read that right. I would like to live more of my life in the present. I love to daydream but I don't want to dream my life away. This year brings lots of changes; two moves and a baby. What is challenging for me right now is not knowing where we are moving and not knowing the gender of the baby. ARGH! I can't sit still. So to live in the present here is what I will do. Enjoy every single moment I have with blue skies, pine trees and ocean. Also, enjoy my body the way it is right now and be glad that I'm 7 months away from a huge belly, recovering from labor, and more sleepless nights than we already have. Life is always going to be fun and hard. The trick for me is to enjoy all of it while it happens and wait for what is next.

What about you? What are your biggest goals for 2009?

P.S. Ok so I was just reading a blog that had a great idea. Enough of resolutions. What do you do well as a parent? What do you pat yourself on the back for? Go ahead...be honest...remember all the things you are awesome at this year!!

6 comments:

Dasha said...

I've actually thought a lot about New Year's resolutions. I have a lot I want to accomplish this year for myself as well as for the family. It all basically boils down to doing something in three areas everyday: healthy body, healthy mind, healthy spirit. I have written down the details of each but that's pretty much it.

Mandi said...

Congratulations, I didn't know about the new baby. How exciting for you guys!

I can relate to the feelings of anxiety over coming change and feeling out of control. I love that you are giving yourself permission to live in the present. I need to remember and apply that!

Erin said...

I'm like you, I'm always trying to plan for the future or waiting for future events when I need to just enjoy the here and now more as well. Good thoughts! I was curious about what you meant when you said you wanted to scrapbook your blog by February? I've heard people talk about publishing their blogs, is that what you are doing? If so, I'd like details, I'm interested in how all of that works, or what exactly you are doing.

Erin said...

P.S. glad to see you back in the blogging world. I kept checking for updates. I started to look at your other blog and need to go finish looking at everything. I just got as far as finding out you are expecting! YEA!!! I am so excited for you guys. It will indeed be a big year for you guys! Congrats!!!

Amy said...

Dasha - Those are great categories.

Mandi - I just read your family letter (I got it in an email from Terrah) and man you guys do have a lot of change ahead! I wish you the best and hope you get into the grad school of your choice. Way to go girl!

Erin - Thanks for checking up on me. You motivated me to get back into blogging mode. I don't know about all the services available online about publishing blogs, so I'm just doing it my way. I found a great set of scrapbooking supplies at Target. It came with everything I need to get started (album, pages, stickers) and it was 1/2 off! I'm going to print off the pictures I used on my blog through Walmart.com and print up my stories on colored paper most likely. White will be too bland. Then I'm just going to mount it all on my cutesy paper with those square picture stickers. The ones that are ok for pictures and are double sided. I like the idea of scrapbooking, but want it to be very simple and low-key. I want it cute but I also want it done! I like blogging because it gives me a reason to write things down, but I'd like to have it in a book. When we visit you this summer I'll show it to you. Hopefully I'll have it done by then!

Love you all! Thanks for reading!

Emily said...

Yeah for a new baby! And I hope you are feeling well. I have been slacking at blogging these days. But anyhow, something I am proud of myself for is how many pictures I take of my kids. I know I take about a thousand more a month than I really need, I am just glad that my kids will have pictures to go along with their memories. My list of resolutions is too long, but I like your idea of living in the present.