Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kicked Out

I got kicked out of bed this morning. No, my husband and I are not fighting; my daughter kicked me out. You see, every morning around 5 or 6 she cries and I bring her into bed with me. Then I get her a bottle and we sleep until 8 or 9. When I tried to squeeze back into bed, she squealed and flailed her legs. Sheesh. Thanks a lot. I tried again. Not happening. I'm awake enough so I decide to, what else? catch up on some blogs. How I love blogs. Nothing like being one click away from not feeling lonely or bored.

So this week I'd like to talk about having a second baby, since that is on my mind and I'd love to hear your perspectives. Honestly, I think it is weird to be pregnant again. I don't think it is common to feel that way, but I do. To me, it seems like my insides are a warzone after the first, how can it possibly be cleaned up in there and ready for a second? Also, how in the world is my body able to have another? Didn't my first baby sap enough from my bones? And last of all, how can I have another full-time job, when I already have one? I don't have the fear of not being able to love the second as much as the first because I'm too busy worrying about all of my other weird fears.

I'm finding though that there are some perks the second time around. First of all, I'm not as fearful. I know everything will be fine and I know what I'm getting myself into. The first time around, I was definitely excited but didn't have a clue. This time around, I know about all the hard things that are coming up, but for some reason all the good is overshadowing it. For example, at my first ultrasound for Missy I thought to myself, That doesn't look like a baby. Second time around, I cried. I knew what that little image had the potential to be and I felt so lucky and blessed to have another.

It truly is marvelous to be a mother and I'm grateful to be a woman. My life's work is to be around beautiful children of God and to think of others before myself. I can't wait to see where mothering will take me in 20 years.

What was being pregnant the second time around like for you? Did you have any fears? What is it like to have two or more running around now? What brings you the most joy as a mother?

4 comments:

Stacy said...

How can you have another full-time job when you already have one?! I love that! Such a good question! Just recently, I've been wondering about my role as a full-time mom, debating the pros and cons of entering the workforce while children are young (or even if I were to get pregnant again). I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on that as well.

Dasha said...

Ditto, great question. I read somewhere once that mother's give their all, whether it be to one child or three, or ten. It is oh so true. A friend of mine also told all about the recovery our bodies go through after having a baby. Apparently she read that it takes a full two years to be 100% again. That's probably different for different women, but it was interesting all the other statistics she told me that I can't remember now. But it was in a magazine so it has to be true, right? With more than one you can't help but compare or at least recognize the similarities/differences in them. It's fun to note, at least to yourself. For me all three pregnancies were different from each other as are the kids. Go figure! You are such a cute mommy and I'm so excited for you and another ....eau or ....ette around. If you don't get that I'll explain. I almost revealed too much.

Halsey said...

What an exciting thing to think about! I immediately thought of a post one of my friends did shortly after she had her second baby. I just got a kick out of the cartoon she posted. You can find it at http://markjenniandthecuteness.blogspot.com/2008/07/two-is-lot-lot-lot-more-than-just-one.html I am currently contemplating having the first baby and I can relate to your feelings of ignorant bliss and excitement! I'm excited to learn from your experience about having the second baby :)

Sarah said...

Hm, although I do not have a second baby yet, I am already thinking about what it will be like to have one. When is the right time, etc? I love being a mom & definitely want more kids. I just love thinking about the little precious life that enters the world and slowly grows and changes, learning new things each day.