Friday, January 23, 2009

What exactly is choice?

I received the following email today from a friend:

FOCA would establish the right to abortion as a fundamental right (like the right to free speech) and wipe away every restriction on abortion nationwide. It will allow all types of abortions including partial birth abortions, also allowing babies who are born alive due to botched up late term abortions to be set aside without any medical care or nourishment and left to die. They are murdered in the most cruel and inhuman way. This Bill will also make it mandatory for doctors and nurses to perform this act even if they do not want to do so. This act also allows under age teens to have an abortion, even partial birth abortions, without parental consent.
It will eradicate state and federal abortion laws that the majority of Americans support and prevent states from enacting similar protective measures in the future.
Please let your family and friends know about this Bill and ask them to also sign this petition. Even those who voted for Obama would not want him to sign this Bill. Please click on the web site below. It will take less than a minute of your time, doesn't cost anything and God will bless you for standing up for Him and His teachings.
Please read the expert analysis by Americans United for Life (AUL) and sign the Fight FOCA petition at
:http://www.fightfoca.com/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing"

What do you think? Do you think choice should start before conception or is there still time to decide once a baby is on the way? This is a tough issue. Where do you stand?

7 comments:

Emily said...

Dallas and I have talked a lot about this issue. First of all, I also received the above mentioned email. I think it is meant to rile up emotions. I have done a little research into FOCA and the purpose is not to kill babies, but to give women 'rights'. The email seems to be a cast the bill in a darker, more evil light than it really is. The actual bill states that "it is the policy of the United States that every woman has the fundamental right to choose to bear a child; terminate a pregnancy prior to fetal viability; or terminate a pregnancy after viability when necessary to protect her life or her health." To my understanding, viability is somewhere 23 weeks, or about 5 months. (Or when the fetus can survive on its own.) All this being said, I am not in support of this bill. I think women need to take responsibility for their choices. It isn't like they were forced to conceive (and in rare cases, such as rape, when the woman had no choice in the matter, abortions are already legal.) I know pregnancy can happen, even when you are not planning it, but I think when you make the choice to have intercourse, even if you are using birth control, you have to understand that pregnancy is a posibility, and if you feel totally unable to handle that, then make your choice then. Once there is potential for a baby, I think a woman needs take responsibility, even if it means embarrassment, heartache, and pain. I do not agree with abortion, but adoption is a wonderful alternative. Wow, this is probably the longest comment I have ever left.

Amy said...

Thank you so much Emily for clearing that up. I'm always a little bit wary of emails but I thought this one might have some merit. Thank you for explaining it to me. You are a beautiful person, I love your insight.

Anna said...

I posted FightFOCA's link on my blog a month ago, this issue is really one that bugs me a lot. Basically, ditto what Emily said. Abortion for reasons other than rape are just not warranted; women had the choice to have intercourse or not and they are free to make that choice. When their actions result in another human organism, that human organism should be allowed to carry on its life without being terminated. I could go on but I won't take up your blog space.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dasha said...

I feel quite strongly about this. First, in my 5th grade classroom hung a sign that read: For every act there is a consequence, when you choose the act, you choose the consequence. I will never forget that. Consequences are not always bad, for example if you study for a test, the consequence would be that you pass and probably with flying colors. Second, I am pro-choice. If you and your partner choose to have intercourse then the consequence could be any number of things, namely disease or possibly a baby. So the choice was made and then you have to deal with the consequences. Third, if the choice is taken from you, in the case of incest and/or rape, then I feel that a women should have choices. And before abortion is the choice, there should be counseling, education, and all options laid out on the table. President Obama said that he doesn't feel anyone is pro-abortion, that's just wrong. I agree, and as far as choice, well as Leanna put it. If you can't hack it as a parent then keep your legs shut! And everyone talks about the woman's freedom to do whatever to her body, well what about the man's choice of maybe actually wanting to father the child?

Amy said...

Good points Tiffany. I like the part about considering whether the father wants the baby or not.

P.S. Just so you all know, I deleted a comment not because I didn't like it, a friend just put info up that I didn't want out there. Nothing big of course, I'm just paranoid. Love you all! Keep the comments coming.

Halsey said...

I side with the Church on this issue: "Some exceptional circumstances may justify an abortion, such as when pregnancy is the result of incest or rape, when the life or health of the mother is judged by competent medical authority to be in serious jeopardy, or when the fetus is known by competent medical authority to have severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth. But even these circumstances do not automatically justify an abortion." Since federal laws actually in effect support this, I don't think that the policy should be changed. I liked Dasha's comment about actions and consequences. If you know how to make a baby and act on that knowledge, you should be prepared to assume the responsibility of parenthood. That is the choice, or in other words, I believe that the choice is made before conception.