Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Oh Nothing"

I recently read, "The 7 stages of motherhood: making the most of your life as a mom" by Ann Murphy. I got to see into the future and imagine what my children might be like in a few years. It made me nervous to realize that conversations may end up going something like this:

"Hi sweetie! What did you do today?"
"Nothing."
"How was school?"
"Boring."

Yikes!

So today when I let out a little sigh, Missy asked, "What's wrong Mom?"
"Oh nothing" I said.

It was then that I realized that I was getting into a bad habit and setting a negative example. So now I try to give her an honest answer like, "Oh, I'm just tired."
I'm sure this will not solve my parent/teenage communication problems but I figure it may start us on the right path.

What do you worry about the most for the future? Can you imagine your kids growing up?

2 comments:

Dave and Melissa Geddes said...

I never thought about it like that before. It is important to tell our kids when they ask (sometimes it would be hard to put it in language they can actually understand, though!) Good thinking.

Happy Home said...

I think about the future all the time! I worry that my mothering skills won't be enough to keep them on the "straight and narrow." Am I going to shelter them too much? Are they going to be the ones getting made fun of or are they going to be the ones making fun of others? You can I worry a lot about this...